Thursday, April 20, 2006

 

Black Crowes update

The Black Crowes' brouhaha I stirred up over not being "comped" to review one of last week's Robinson brothers shows resulted in an avalanche of comments (mostly attached to my "Black Crowes' media black-out" post) from fans and journalists alike. This all started when my ticket request was denied by the Crowes' independent publicity firm, the Mitch Schneider Organization (MSO), based in Sherman Oaks, CA. I wrote a post ("Black Crowes' media black-out") that got picked up by Mediabistro's FishbowlNY website last Friday. I followed with a second post ("Black Crowes controversy") that got picked by FishbowlNY on Monday.

Then I received a call from Mitch Schneider himself. Here's an excerpt from our conversation:

Bloom: How will the Black Crowes be handling press requests for their just-announced summer tour with Robert Randolph & the Family Band and Drive-By Truckers?

Schneider: I'll have to check with management [Pete Angelus Entertainment] on that. I do know that up until now it's been management's policy that all tickets are for fans. The shows in New York were reviewed by the Stonybrook University paper and Joel Selvin in the San Francicso Chronicle. They purchased tickets. I know you're looking for complimentary review tickets, but the feeling is they want fans to have access to all the tickets. There's no record label who are doing ticket buys. They remain unsigned to a label by their choice.

Bloom: I'm aware of that. "Fans-only" is a convenient rationalization for not letting the press attend. I think it's a bad precedent. They're the only band that does this. Tell me another band that you work with that does this.

Schneider: It's exclusive to them.

Bloom: It's not a good policy. I wish you'd go to bat for us.

Schneider: I will discuss with management.

For info about the Black Crowes' 9-week summer tour, which begins in Seattle on 6/10: CLICK HERE

Tickets for the 6/10, 6/11, 6/13 and 6/18 shows went on sale today. To purchase pre-tickets: CLICK HERE

HAPPY 4/20!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Your Ad Here