Saturday, April 22, 2006

 

Celebrating the 37th Annual Earth Day

I was 15 on April 22, 1970 when Earth Day was founded. I've always loved Earth Day. I don't have special plans for today, though I will be attending one of the Green Apple Music & Arts Festival concerts in New York tonight. This festival's focus is jam-band music, but the underlying theme is environmental awareness.

Today's a good day to think about your personal relationship to the planet. How do you contribute to the earth's well-being? What else could you do? First and foremost, I encourage people to take responsibility for their own surroundings. This is very difficult living in a city with nearly 8 million people. But I try by picking up bottles and trash strewn about the streets and tossing them in garbage cans. As a dog owner, I always collect my pets' poo and encourage others to do the same. I don't own a car and ride mass transportation and my bike everywhere. Though I'm not a vegetarian, I don't eat beef, pork or fowl (I do eat seafood, dairy and eggs). I don't consume fast foods and buy organic whenever possible (support your local health-food stores, whether it's a small shop or Whole Foods). I buy quality foods for my pets. I recycle religiously. I know I can do more, like joining such eco-conscious organizations as Greenpeace and the Sierra Club. Saving the earth starts with each and everyone of us. Don't leave it up to the next person. It's up to you and me.

For more info about Earth Day: CLICK HERE

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Your Ad Here