Saturday, April 22, 2006
Mets offense stalls
Next game: Saturday, April 22 in San Diego, 10:05 pm start on SNY & WFAN, Pedro Martinez (3-0, 3.66) vs. Chris Young (2-0, 2.95)
For more on the Mets: CLICK HERE
AROUND THE HORN
* After losing last night to ex-Met Kris Benson (2-2) and the Orioles, the Yankees (8-8) took the second game of the series today, 6-1, behind Shawn Chacon (2-1). Combined with the Red Sox loss to the Blue Jays, the Yanks are now 2 games behind Boston (11-7). Randy Johnson (2-2, 4.63) faces ex-Met Bruce Chen (0-2, 8.10) tomorrow.
* Excerpted from yesterday's MLB.com story, "Opening month full of surprises," by Jim Molony:
- Barry Bonds, Manny Ramirez and Adrian Beltre are not among the 233 Major Leaguers with at least one homer. Bonds (28 at-bats), Ramirez (54) and Beltre (60) have gone a combined 142 at-bats without leaving the yard once.
- The Mets not only have the second-best record in baseball (11-4) and the majors' best team ERA (3.24), the rotation is also ranked No. 1 with a 3.38 ERA.
- The Mets' high-powered offense of Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado, Paul Lo Duca and David Wright have seen a surprising hero in RF Xavier Nady, who leads the team with a .364 batting average.
- 39 players have 40 or more plate appearances with on-base plus slugging percentages greater than 1,000. The Yankees, Mets and Indians lead the way with three players each.
To read the full story: CLICK HERE