Friday, May 05, 2006
Some Glaine stats:
* He won the 279th game of his career.
* He struck out 10 batters in 7 solid innings.
* With 2,391 careers Ks, he's 6 away from surpassing Sandy Koufax.
* He laid down his 194th career sac bunt, an MLB record.
* He's batting .400.
* He's gone 6-plus innings in his last 22 starts.
* He's 4-2, with 41 Ks in 46 innings and a 1.94 ERA.
The Phillies (14-14) remain 5 games behind the Mets (19-9) in 2nd-place, as they swept the Braves (12-16), who begin a 3-game series tonight at Shea.
Next game: Friday, May 5 vs. the Braves at Shea, 7:10 pm start on SNY & WFAN, Steve Trachsel (2-2, 4.73) vs. Kyle Davies (2-2, 4.70)
For more on the Mets: CLICK HERE
AROUND THE HORN
* The Yankees (15-11) came back from a 5-4 deficit to defeat the Devil Rays 10-5 and sweep the 2-game series. Randy Johnson (5-2) got the win. The Yanks travel to Texas for a 3-game series starting tonight, Mike Messina (4-1) vs. Vincente Padilla (3-1). The Rex Sox remained in a virtual first-place tie with the Yankees by beating the Blue Jays, 7-4, splitting that series. They host the Orioles this weekend.
* Ex-Met Ty Wiggington connected for his 9th HR against Johnson in the Devil Rays' loss. The 3B is batting .267 with 29 RBI. Ex-Met Scott Kazmir (3-2, 3.72 ERA, 35 Ks) pitches tonight vs. the A's.
* Barry Bonds and the Giants are in Philadelphia this weekend. Bonds needs 2 HRs to tie Babe Ruth (714) for second-place on the all-time HR list.