Sunday, May 07, 2006

 

Say hey: Willie Mays' 75th

One of baseball's two greatest living legends, Willie May (Hank Aaron is the other), celebrated his 75th birthday on Saturday. The slugging centerfielder (he hit 660 HRs) started his career in New York with the Giants before they moved to San Francisco and ended it in New York with the Mets (he was a member of the 1973 World Series team). My brother Barry Bloom penned an affectionate tribute to Mays at MLB.com. Here's what Giants' manager and former Mays teammate Felipe Alou had to say about the "Say Hey Kid":

"I played with Willie when we were both in our 20s. I always say he's the best player I've ever seen, without a doubt. And I played with Hank Aaron. I didn't get to see Barry [Bonds] every day when he was in his early 30s and late 20s, when a player is at the top of his game. Barry is not a Gold Glove guy now, not since I took over this team four years ago. I have to say that knowing Willie for so many years, traveling with him to Japan and playing in different places, that to me he's the best."

To read my brother's full story: CLICK HERE

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Your Ad Here