Friday, May 19, 2006
Subway Series @ Shea
The Yankees lost another outfielder yesterday, when Bubba Crosby strained a hamstring. Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui are already on the DL. But Jason Giambi (strained neck) was back in the lineup. The Mets' starting squad is healthy; it's the rotation that's been weakened by injuries to Brian Bannister, John Maine and Victor Zambano.
* At .285, the Yankees' team BA (3rd best in the AL) is .22 points higher than the Mets (7th best in the NL).
* With 52, the Mets have 2 more HRs than the Yanks.
* The Mets' 3.83 team ERA (3rd best in the NL) is .12 better the Yanks (2nd best in the AL).
* The first-place Mets (24-16) have won 1 more game than then the half-game-out-of-first Yankes (23-16).
* Three Yankee regulars and one Met are batting over .300: Derek Jeter (.346), Robinson Cano (.317), and David Wright and Jorge Posada (both .307).
* Carlos Delgado's 13 HRs leads all players, followed by Giambi (12) and Carlos Beltran (10).
* Ten players (5 Mets, 5 Yanks) have more than 20 RBI each; Giambi leads all with 34.
* Glavine (6-2, 2.43) and Mike Mussina (6-1, 2.56) have been the team's best pitchers.
* Billy Wagner and Mariano Rivera both have 8 saves.
* Friday (7:10 pm start, Channels 9 & 11): Jeremi Gonzalez (0-0) vs. Randy Johnson (5-4)
* Saturday (1:20 pm start, FOX); Martinez (5-0) vs. Mussina
* Sunday (8:05 pm start, ESPN): Glavine vs. Aaron Small (0-1)
May the Mets - I mean, the best team win.