Sunday, June 18, 2006

 

Bonnaroo morning, 5 am, 6/18

Now I'm blogging in my car in the parking lot, not in the press tent. Wireless computing's a wonderful thing. The signal is light, but works. Sasha's set just ended with Donna Summer's "I Feel Love," the perfect sentiment for an X-ed-up late night/early morning crowd.

It's a little nippy as the sky brightens with soft pastels in the East. Another Bonnaroo morning. I slept through most of the evening acts - Radiohead, "Super Jam," Dr. John. I heard a lot of it though, in my tent. The trudging from stage to stage wears you down. At least it wears down these 51-year-old legs. Plus, after a while, you just want to get away from the crowds. Your campsite is your only respite from the constant noise and streams of people. Generators blare, port-o-john trucks hum and golf carts whiz by, kicking up dust that's everywhere at Bonnaroo.

Food is plentiful, but pretty standard festival grub. They don't feed the press, so I've been on my own. This morning I'll find breakfast at one of the vendors. Last night, I ate tofu stir fry at the Sweet Leaf organic kitchen. Not bad, though the food was kind of cold. I drank beer all day, which made me tired as well.

I'm not sure we need large festivals like this anymore. They're exceptional efforts, but what really is accomplished? They're not spontaneous like the original rock festivals (Woodstock, Altamont). Everything's so carefully and meticulously planned out. People need to create their own community, not have it created for them. Perhaps I'll go to the Rainbow Gathering in a few weeks in Colorado to refresh my memory about self-created community. Bonnaroo is cool, but sure isn't it.

Today's schedule includes: Shooter Jennings (12:30), Soulive (1:45), Sierre Leone's Refugee Allstars (2 pm), Bela Fleck (3 pm), The Streets (3:30), Son Volt (3:45), Matisyahu (4 pm), moe. (5:30), Sonic Youth (6 pm), Bonnie Raitt (6:30) and Phil & Friends (8:30).

PHOTO BY KRISTEN DYMENT

POSTSCRIPT: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACK!
Here's wishing Jack Herer a happy and healthy 67th birthday. Herer is notorious for his hemp manifesto, The Emperor Wears No Clothes. After suffering a stroke 5 years ago and open-heart surgery last year, Jack is doing fine. He's a medical-marijuana patient living in Northern California with his lovely wife, Jeannie. Send Jack a birthday message or comment to his MySpace page

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Your Ad Here